Copy Cat Panera Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of fat free half and half
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 heads of broccoli, just florets cut up
- 1 cup of carrots in julienne style (I used baby carrots and just like match sticked 'em up its what I had in the fridge. You could easily just buy the matchstick carrots and use a cup)
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
- Heat butter on medium to med low heat. I used a dutch oven. When melted add onions and garlic and simmer until soft and fragrant about 7 minutes or so. Do not have the pan to hot you do not want them to burn just to soften.
- Once softened add four, simmer this roux for about 2-3 minutes stirring so it does not burn to bottom of pan will sort of be a sticky glob.
- Slowly add the two cup of half and half letting bubble and thicken before adding more and stiring very frequently. Once you add all the half and half add the stock same way slowly.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg stir and simmer for 20 minutes on med low. Stir frequently.
- Add broccoli and carrots simmer covered for another 25-30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Use immersion blender or regular blender or food processer (immersion blender is the best) and blend until all large chunks of brocolli are gone and soup is smooth.
- Stir in cheddar cheese in a figure 8 motion. Serve sprinkled with some extra chedder cheese (8 oz was the whole bag so I had some random shredded mexican cheese I sprinkled on top and Jackson who I tricked into eating this soup even though he says he always hates broccoli which hes never had!! He loved it and even when I told him it was broccoli he had another two bites!!)